Author Topic: Managing and scheduling review posts  (Read 4535 times)

Debbish

• Dan Brown
    • View Profile
    • Debbish dot com
Managing and scheduling review posts
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
So... I've talked about this on the FB page but I'm interested in how others plan and schedule their book reviews.

As you'd all know we're often reading books months before publication BUT the publisher doesn't want the book reviewed until around the publication date.

I use the Calendar plugin on WordPress.org which I find useful.... so I can write my post as soon as I've read the book and schedule the book review to go live at some point in the future. But, even though I do that I sometimes find it hard to manage it if a number of books are being released at one time. Plus (as you can see from the attachment, I write about other stuff on my blog!)

I should mention:Almost all of my reviews are of NetGalley ARCs. So I do my NetGalley review straight away and upload it there as well as scheduling the draft on my blog. (I'm still not quite confident enough to approach publishing houses IRL to ask for books!)

So, my (long-winded) questions:
1. Any other suggestions for scheduling or planning posts?
2. Do you do a 'teaser' review on Goodreads etc when you read the book; do you do the whole review then; or do you wait until your review goes live?
3. Do you stick to the 2 week before/after publication requirement suggested by publishing houses?

Deb
Deborah
debbish.com
@debbishdotcom

Suzpol

• Administrator
  • J. R. R. Tolkein
  • OOOOOK!
    • View Profile
    • Suz's Space
Re: Managing and scheduling review posts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
I rarely have that problem, the only book I've got too much before publication is out next month.

I tend to do things the messy way. I finish the book and then it sits on my desk until I write about it, whenever that is, and it's published that day or the next. Planning ahead is not my forte when it comes to blogging.

Debbish

• Dan Brown
    • View Profile
    • Debbish dot com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
I had two books I read back in March or so and - for some reason - I reviewed neither at the time. In fact I just left them wallowing in my NetGalley 'Reading List' while others came and went.

When i went to review one of them I found I'd started something so was merrily adding to that. It wasn't until I'd nearly finished that I realised I was writing about the wrong book. Obviously the draft I found related to something else. I really struggled to remember enough about the book (well, the ending more specifically) to make the review half-decent.

I was horrified and that was a big lesson for me!

I read 3-4 books for review a week so sometimes am a couple of books ahead (ie. read not reviewed).
Deborah
debbish.com
@debbishdotcom

Suzpol

• Administrator
  • J. R. R. Tolkein
  • OOOOOK!
    • View Profile
    • Suz's Space
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
Interesting. I wonder when that'll happen to me.

1girl2manybooks

• Dan Brown
    • View Profile
    • All The Books I Can Read
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
I keep a blogging planner/journal. I write down what post I plan for each day and also when I receive books for review, be it a physical copy in the mail or an eBook from NetGalley. I try not to read too many books months in advance, but occasionally a title will show up really early that I'm excited about and I won't be able to wait. When I accept a book tour I'll make sure I negotiate a day I know I have free with the publicist and note it in the journal, that way I always know it's coming up and I won't forget it.

I often have a lot of books due to be pubbed on the same day and sometimes it's just a case of first in, best dressed. That could be the first publicist to contact me about a certain book, the first one I receive in the mail or the first one from the bunch that I read, based on interest/mood. I try to give equal priority to each publisher but sometimes schedules mean it might be wall-to-wall one pub on the blog for a week and then a mix the next week etc.

Sally906

• Dan Brown
    • View Profile
    • Books and Musings from Downunder
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »
I try very hard to get the review out in the week before the due date, but just lately I am happy if I get my review up in the release month!

I get my books from netgalley, author request, publisher offer and I once sent an email to a publisher asking for a book to review that I really, really wanted and they sent it!!

Haven't tried that since though. Maybe I should be more politely forceful!
Hoo Roo

Sally from Oz

knowledgelost

• Waiting for book o'clock
  • Administrator
  • Patricia Wrightson
    • View Profile
    • Literary Exploration
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
Just before going away on holidays, I scheduled over 20 posts, that doesn't happen much but normally I schedule posts to post the next day, I'd like to do more but keeping up with the writing is the hard part
Michael @ Literary Exploration
Blog || Twitter || Facebook || Goodreads

Suzpol

• Administrator
  • J. R. R. Tolkein
  • OOOOOK!
    • View Profile
    • Suz's Space
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
20!!! That's a lot of writing to schedule in advance. I hope you had a good holiday.

knowledgelost

• Administrator
  • Patricia Wrightson
    • View Profile
    • Literary Exploration
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
it was very long but good

Suzpol

• Administrator
  • J. R. R. Tolkein
  • OOOOOK!
    • View Profile
    • Suz's Space
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
Did you write about it on your blog? i.e. should I go there to read it or ask you questions.

knowledgelost

• Administrator
  • Patricia Wrightson
    • View Profile
    • Literary Exploration
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
I'm writing a post about it but won't be up for a few days.

Suzpol

• Administrator
  • J. R. R. Tolkein
  • OOOOOK!
    • View Profile
    • Suz's Space
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
Okay. Will read it when it's up. Love reading about holidays.

Brona

• Dan Brown
    • View Profile
    • Brona's Books
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
I will often post my review straight away, but closer to the books actual publication date, I promote my review post on my fb page and twitter, or I go and find other reviews for the same book, leaving comments and a link back my review.

I love scheduling for busy weekends and holidays. I also use it for readalongs and things like the Classics Club challenges, so that my review goes live along with everyone else's.
Brona
Blog || Twitter || FB || Instagram